Reliability of NPOI

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM
Edited Oct 9, 2009 at 1:55 PM

How much we can rely on this NPOI dlls.Did any body using in the productiion sites successfully.? If using please provide me the URls

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM

As I know, a .NET team in HUAWEI/3Com (a Chinese company) is using NPOI to help them generate xls. In some other projects of the company, they use POI in Java projects. So they choose NPOI. I've communicate with the team lead to get some feedback. Until now, there are no bad feedbacks.

In my company (salary.com), I'm using it to generate page workflows (.xls file) based on SQL Server (I created some console projects). However, this is a kind of staging environment instead of production. So I cannot say that it's in production environment. Our site uses Reporting Service to help export the pdf, xls files. So it's not necessary to use NPOI. Anyway, I'm still looking for chances to use NPOI in our production environment in the future.

I'm confident on NPOI because it has passed about 1000 test cases as you can in the Source Code. Moreover, the POI is a very mature library. Here are some cases: http://poi.apache.org/casestudies.html. In some parts, NPOI is more stable than POI because these days I'm fixing some critical bugs that previously exists in POI. That's why I release NPOI 1.2.1 and the next release 1.2.2. 

I have no idea what your senario is. But I believe in most cases NPOI can meet your needs except Pivot table, Excel Graph and the template containing macro. If you are willing to, please let me know your requirement or senario via tonyqus (at) gmail.com. I'm willing to support you to make NPOI available on your production environment.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

My scenario is "I need to access a template excel file in the server , need to create the ranges in one of the sheets dynamically ,need to give the data validation in the second sheet and then send the updated excel file to the client".I finished the task by using this  library is but the issue is  if any problem comes in the future what shoul i do?  .

Again thanks for giving such a great easy to use library.

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Although it's a long time, I'd like to update this post in case you have any issues. A new company called Neuzilla is created to support NPOI and provide consulting service for NPOI users. If you need some support, you can contact support@neuzilla.com