This project is read-only.

Do you need NPOI?

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2008 at 3:46 PM
This is a investigation to learn if visitors really need this project to help him/her create, read, write Office documents easily.
Sep 22, 2008 at 6:09 AM
Hi

Many people out there really need this project, specially those of us working in applications that import/export data in different formats. In my case I'm using Excel a lot, mostly to import data and right now I use the OleDb and Odbc drivers that have many limitations. I think we need an open source project just like POI to go along the commercial components doing this already. There are some efforts out there (specially in codeproject) but I think we need an official port, you know, like NHibernate, NVelocity, NLucene, iTextSharp, etc. I hope people (including me) get some time to look at the code and help with the implementation.

Saludos!
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2008 at 6:48 AM
Thank you for your reply! Your suggestion sounds great! I'll consider it seriously. However, there is a lot of jobs to do before such a portal site is established. I perfer to do it after NPOI 1.0 final version is released! How do you think about it?

Moreover, Excel read/write feature has higher priority than Word and Powerpoint document in my implementation plan. In fact, one of my future project needs the Excel feature of NPOI as well. So I'll implement NPOI.HSSF namespace firstly. 

By the way, do you want to join me? My msn is tonyqus( at )163.com (replace ( at ) with @). Please feel free to add me and share your ideas with me.
Developer
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:46 AM
We also really need this kind of library to handle Office documents. Currently we are running Microsoft PIA's on the server (yes on the server) which is far from desirable. Maybe I can join you if there is something that I can help. My mail address is huseyint AT g|m|a|i|l|.com
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Thank you for your reply. These days I'm a bit busy not only concentrate on this project but also on my projects for my company. I really need someone like you to help me handle something. I'll contact you personally and check which part you are interested in!
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM
For MS Office 2007 files, we can use Microsoft Open XML Format SDK.
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM
Yes, however, you cannot garantee that all your customer has Office 2007 or compatible pack installed, can you?
Jul 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM

There appears to be mostly Excel related functionalities. Can NPOI currently work with Word and Word Templates?

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2009 at 3:01 AM

I'm afraid NPOI doesn't support any Word features now. Sorry for that!

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:29 AM

For me this project is really usefull. In fact, there is a lot of library you can use to create Excel workbook, but it's library that use COM or Interop property.

I've need this project while i've to create workbooks on Server side, and as you can imagine, i've not plan to install excel on a server ^^

Functionalities that will be really usefull after read/writes datas, is to create charts.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM

It's very useful. I am waiting for it. I was working to read word files using poi and a WebService. But directly in .net is better.

Now i am waiting for next version, to open other format types, like word an open xml.